I am still dreaming about the delicious chocolate chip biscotti a friend dropped on my door step the other night. Yes, those are them in the photo below! Perfectly crisp along the top with a little spring in the middle. I totally dunked them in a big ol’ cuppa coffee and it was heavenly.
So, I started thinking about making my own batch of biscotti. We’re hosting a small holiday party at our home next week with an outdoor activity. I have an idea to create a hot chocolate bar and I think a batch of biscotti might be a perfect addition to the other sweets I have planned. Here’s some tips on how to bake the perfect biscotti.
1. It seems like anything goes when it comes to biscotti. Traditional flavors include Almond, Hazelnut, and Chocolate Chip. But how about Bacon Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Dipped Salted Caramel, Cornmeal Biscotti with Cranberries and Pistachios, or this savory Rosemary Walnut Biscotti sounds good too. Gotta love this Starbucks hack of their Spiced Chocolate Biscotti.
2. In Martha Stewart’s Baking Handbook, it is suggested to line the slices on a wire rack set over a baking sheet. This allows air to circulate around the biscotti during the second round of baking and eliminates the need to flip the slices.
3. Don’t over mix your biscotti dough. You want to knead it until it just comes together. If the dough becomes difficult to handle, you can refrigerate it for an hour and then try again to knead and shape it. If using a KitchenAid Stand Mixer, it is highly recommended that you use the slow mixing option (or speed 2).
Did someone say KitchenAid Stand Mixer? I’M GIVING ONE AWAY!! See below.
4. Always use a cool baking sheet otherwise your dough will spread before it starts to bake.
5. Biscotti shelf life is exceptionally long, especially if they are dried out enough in the second round of baking. Make them ahead of time and they will keep until you wrap them up and deliver them to your friends!
Now for the KitchenAid Stand Mixer! Together with a few friends, we’re giving away a KitchenAid Artisan Series Stand Mixer in the winner’s choice of color! Those who enter have a chance to win the KitchenAid mixer, a Keurig K65 Brewing System, or a Kindle Paperwhite! So, what are you waiting? Read the fine print here.