Already Overwhelmed

If you’re anything like me, you were waiting until the 5th to start all those new year resolutions. It only made sense, right? Who wants to start a detox diet on a Thursday? And forget about organizing anything because Christmas still needed to be boxed up.

Well, here we are. Monday, January 5, 2015.

I spent all weekend feeling anxious and overwhelmed about the things I planned to start today. This includes, but it not limited to 1) a 21-day sugar detox 2) a 10K steps walking challenge and 3) a whole house de-clutter program.

I’m not worried about the tasks at hand but I’ve got it so totally stuck in my head that if I don’t do them perfectly from go then I fail.

Perfection. Perfection. Perfection. Argh!

I didn’t have a Paleo-friendly breakfast set for Monday morning so the detox for the day is blown. I didn’t set out my gym clothes so there goes my workout. De-cluttering? The stacks of papers and junk everywhere says “FAT CHANCE!”

I just can’t with this perfection thing anymore. So instead, I am going to focus on progress in 2015.

Join me?

perfection

Comments

1. Have you seen these 12 month declutter calendars? I bought them last year and there’s a simple task every day. It never says “organize your closet,” but rather “clear off one shelf in your closet.” I obviously fell off of the wagon, but it’s super easy to complete the tasks. https://www.etsy.com/listing/170619221/sale-12-month-declutter-calendar-instant?ref=shop_home_feat_3

• wendy nielsen says:

Thanks friend! I’ve found two really great IG accounts that give daily prompts but they started on Jan 1st so I’m like “i’m out.” There’s no going back. Gotta get past this mindset. I’ll check out the Etsy link!

2. Yes definitely can’t think of the whole thing or else you’ll get the deer in headlights and just freeze! and wow girl! that’s a lot at once to start!

• wendy nielsen says:

I know, I’m nuts. But I’ve got a long list of things I REALLY want to get done this year. As for day one: it was not bad. Thanks for your ongoing support, Melissa!

3. I think you have some great ideas for progress here. I know you’ll get it all finished – you’re one of the most determined people I know! I especially love the phrase “Strive for progress – not perfection.” Such a healthy mantra. I’m adopting it here in 2015!

• wendy nielsen says:

Those are some kind words Amy!! xo P.S. I haven’t forgotten about the Mom 2.0 ticket. Still want it?

4. Karen Peterson says:

ooh. I like the idea of the IG prompts. Does it still exist? Are you out because you didn’t do day 1-4? Or is it that you feel your out but you can just pick up from wherever you are? I like the analogy I read earlier about how the only way to improve your strength (muscles) is by training your muscles to failure…so I figure these resolutions are the same thing and we fail and then we keep at it!! You can do it; I know I am encourage to get my 10k steps because of your challenge and its not to compete but to courage each other even when it is not perfection but progress;)

• wendy nielsen says:

Hey Karen! Thanks for your encouragement!
      I’ll add the links to the IG prompts below. But yes, I feel like since things have already started that I can’t simply just pick from there and go. I need to start at the beginning. It’s weird and I’m dumb :)
      Follow these people on IG: @cleanmama and @abowlfulloflemons
      What’s your IG??

• Karen Peterson says:

my IG is @akjetmom (I am not a big poster of photos though) and many times I don’t scroll through IG like I do Facebook 😉